Re: [Monotone-devel] sharing changes

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] sharing changes
Date: 05 Sep 2003 23:51:00 -0400

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> I've made a couple changes to my version of monotone.
> We're talking minor stuff -- I removed all the generated files, and I
> copied txt2c.cc from the cvs monotone (it is missing from the depot).
>
> I can't set up a cgi, and there's no news server around.

why can't you set up a CGI, nowhere to host it, or can't configure it
right? usually you just have to put something like "Options +ExecCGI"
in an .htaccess file in your web server directory.

anyways, you can also just send me your public key packet, I'll add it
to my depot. depots can support multiple users, they're just not
constrained to be all-users-on-one-depot. they probably don't have all
that great parallel scalability, and possibly a race or two in the
database write phase... but it should work. if there's bugs, we need
to find 'em.

I'd *like* to eventually test multi-depot development, but I'm ok with
using just one for the time being.

> So to send in these patches, I assume I first send my public key
> packet, followed by all the mdata/fdata/mcert/fcert info?

generally, yeah. though.. it'd be a very small bit of work to add a
command called "patchset <oldid> <newid>" which just builds the
patchset between oldid and newid (the set of packets which *would* be
queued for the network) and writes it to stdout. probably about a
10-line command. all the logic is already there.

> Maybe we do need email as a primary transport.

perhaps. I'm not adverse to adding it if there's a sensible
interpretation; the multi-protocol support is there now, it's just a
matter of supporting "mailto:"; and writing an SMTP state machine. you
can probably reuse most of the NNTP state machine stuff.

the main reason I didn't add it this time around is that I can't
decide on an interpretation of "fetch" for mail. there's like 5
"standard" ways of fetching mail on a unix system (MH, Maildir, mbox,
IMAP4, POP3) and some of them don't necessarily support the idea of
sequence numbers very well.

of course, we can say that fetch isn't supported for mailto: and just
provide procmail glue too. I'd be happy enough with that.

hm hm. we could also set up another mailing list on savannah and
mirror it to news with gmane. I doubt lars would complain too
much. there's already several "patches" lists going through it.

-graydon