[Monotone-devel] monotone diff

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: [Monotone-devel] monotone diff
Date: 22 Sep 2003 20:01:45 -0600

Let's talk some more about argument processing.  I've started work in
this area, but I'd like to know generally what target to aim for.

I'm starting with "monotone diff".  Nathaniel added the ability to
diff arbitrary revisions -- cool.  But I think we need more.

Ideally you could select a single file or set of files for diffing.

As a first cut I'm looking at a cvs-style command line:

monotone diff [-rREV1] [-rREV2] [FILE]...

However, suppose you have specified a single file.  To what do the REV
arguments refer?  Manifest revisions?  File revisions?  Something more
magical (if they refer to a manifest, use it, else if they refer to a
file revision, use that)?

How about, at least initially, we have the REV arguments always refer
to manifest revisions?  This might be a little weird in some cases,
but for the most part it should be ok.

Tom