Re: [Monotone-devel] README library list and log command fixes

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] README library list and log command fixes
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:49:55 -0700

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:21:06PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> Some numbers:
>   number of entries in top-level gcc ChangeLog, on HEAD branch: 1840
>      total space to cert this many edges: ~500KiB
>   total number of edges found by cvs_import in the gcc repository,
>      after ~24 hours of cpu time: ~10,000 (I have no idea how much of an
>                                           underestimate this is)
>      total space to cert this many edges: ~3MiB
>   size of a single checkout of gcc (and thus the minimal size of a
>      depot: ~200MiB
>   number of edges required to make reposting add 10% overhead: ~70,000

These may be a bit optimistic; gcc/libjava appears to be 27MiB, with
7627 ancestry certs, making the ancestry graph ~2.3MiB.  Still not a
show-stopper, I think, though I wish I had a better idea of how
representative these numbers were.

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield