Re: [Monotone-devel] sketch of i18n specification

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] sketch of i18n specification
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:21:09 -0800

graydon hoare wrote:
Ori Berger <address@hidden> writes:

On Windows, situation's much worse -- you can't have any device name
as a file name (e.g., "nul", the windows equivalent to "/dev/null",
virtually exists in every directory on every device) --

but that can't be solved by placing structural limits on file names.

hm. this is a curious situation! can you give more details about funny
things in windows filesystems?

I can't tell you a lot about modern stuff, but back in the DOS days, there were several devices that you could refer to as if they existed in every directory. The ones I remember are: nul, prn, con, lpt1, lpt2, lpt3, com1, com2, com3...

...yahoo search in progress... Here's one website for you:
  http://www.tcs.org/ioport/jun98/driver2.htm

Here is perhaps a better historical explanation:
<http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/raymondc/commentview.aspx/1f7e4f66-2889-4238-8962-37899528e211>

This message is also nice and scary:
  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-utils/2001-07/msg00044.html

"In addition, the file-name extension is ignored when the basename
matches.  So `aux.lst', `prn.c', `con.foo', and an infinite number of
other similar names--all of them are prone to this problem.  Some of the
devices will actually wedge the DOS box if you try to extract a file by
that name; kids, don't try that at home!"

Oy.

The good news is that I use a Windows box at work, and have not had problems with any of these for at least a decade. Apparently I've been lucky.

Kevin