Re: [Monotone-devel] Newbie Question 2

From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Newbie Question 2
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:23:57 +0200

put them together..

address@hidden [Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:11:33PM +0100]:
> 2) When a depot has multiple versions of a file, can one extract version
> n-1 (i.e. extract the earlier version even after a later version has been
> committed)

yes. Every version of a commited file is kept in the db.

> 1) Am I right in thinking if I committed to Monotone  a 5mb file (for
> example) that was subsequently pulled by the remote office, when that file
> was subequently modified at my central location, any subsequent pull of
> that file into the remote office's depot would only pull the changes
> rather than the complete file?

if you commit everything, you'll only fetch the changes.

> 3) I understand that the way that one can extract a file e.g. using 'cat'
> is by giving the corresponding SHA1 hash of the file as the identifier. Am
> I to take it from this that there is no way of extracting the file based
> on its name?

you need the name and the hash.

> 4) Is there any way to interact with the depot via other SQLite interfaces
> (e.g. odbc, php, cgi, etc)?

as far as I know: currently now. it is generally possible, but no one
realized it yet.

> I'm interested in doing this in the remote
> offices, as their data is read-only.  I could work with giving the users a
> friendly link that would itself refer to the SHA1 hash, extract the file
> via PHP, and return the file to them, and launch the file in an associated
> program in their browser.

We will be happy if you could program such a nice web-frontend.

> 5)  Is the security framework of Monotone not really applied at the depot,
> but at the point of checking out?  As you can gather from the preceding
> point, I am interested in being able to interface directly with the
> versions in the depot rather than checking them out into the file system

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps someone else can help
you.

address@hidden [Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:15:33PM +0100]:
> 6) I understand that the maximum size of a file that can be committed is
> currently 16mb.

don't know. anybody familar with sqlite?

> a) Can that figure be increased b) Does Monotone perform
> any compression on that file as it is committing it.

don't know either.

address@hidden [Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:16:53PM +0100]:
> 7) If I do have to extract files from the depot into the file system in
> order to be able to access them, is there a way to delete files in the
> file system if they are deleted in the depot?

rm $file :)

> Would I have to delete all
> the files from the file system and then checkout a whole tree again?

You don't need to checkout it again.

Nico

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
Please use pgp encryption: 8D0E 27A4 is my id.