[Monotone-devel] Re: Newbie Question 1

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Newbie Question 1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:27:22 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
1) Am I right in thinking if I committed to Monotone a 5mb file (for example) that was subsequently pulled by the remote office, when that file was subequently modified at my central location, any subsequent pull of that file into the remote office's depot would only pull the changes rather than the complete file?

correct. though you should know that monotone is not ideal (at the moment) for large files. there is a current (artificial) limit on cell size of around 16mb, but even if we relax that to its maximum under the current page size, we can still probably only archive 64mb files before the database gets upset.

we can, of course, hold billions of *versions* of such files, in databases several gb in size; the database library just doesn't really get along well with large blobs. it's designed for source code.

-graydon