Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Rename branch?

From: Dean Kusler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Rename branch?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:00:47 -0500

Perhaps a "branch copy" command or something along those lines. Issue a
branch cert with the new branch name to every manifest in the branch
being copied. Then you could make changes to either branch that would
remain unique to that branch, but they would share that initial history
without actually duplicating any information. If I'm confused somehow
about how this would work, please let me know.

Jon Bright wrote:

Hey,

graydon hoare wrote:

no. old branch certificates are immutable. I mean, you can delete them, but they have signatures; they can't be changed if you want the signature to check out. you can however pick a new branch name and mark all the historical states as being in some new branch. in theory we could write a command to do this.

Doing this would probably be good for corporate stuff too. At least once here, we've changed all our Java classpaths from de.blahblah.foo to de.foobar.blag as a result of repositioning a product as being not for a specific customer, but a general product of our company. Company name changes would result in similar things. While it's arguable about whether changing these classpaths is a sensible use of time, once the Powers That Be have said it's happening, it's happening. If the Java classpaths change, it'd sure be inconvenient to have the old classpaths still in monotone...