Re: [Monotone-devel] cooperative/parallel/resumed merging

From: Patrick Mauritz
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cooperative/parallel/resumed merging
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:35:09 +0200

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:31:27PM -0400, graydon hoare wrote:
>          +---- LEFT  -----+                 +--- RESIDUAL LEFT
> --- ANC1 +                + -- SEMIMERGE -- +
>          +---- RIGHT -----+                 +--- RESIDUAL RIGHT
>
> I'm not really sure this is the "least expected" situation; the two new
> residual heads look like "slightly more similar" versions of the
> previous two heads. otherwise it's the same situation.
basically it merges everything from left and right that does not conflict
with changes of the other side. the result ("semimerge" here) will likely
be broken, too and "residual (left|right)" will probably not work out of
the box either.

unlike conflict markers this approach still allows to make use of the
development tools that monotone provide, namely versioning and diffs
(how often did you forget a conflict deep inside your sources?) as well
as interactive merging using the "normal" tools.

using conflict markers you need two tool sets for managing conflicts,
one for interactive merges, one for premerged tree states, or one tool
that can cope with both situations.

patrick mauritz