[Monotone-devel] monotone win32 crlf questions

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] monotone win32 crlf questions
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:21:36 -0600

Has anyone else noticed that monotone diff seems to double up CRLF's on windows? I haven't really tried to track this down yet, but I've been tracking my current project at work (on winxp) in monotone just to see how things go. Generally it's working great and the only "problem" I've had is that every time I do a diff I seem to have double spaced code. od -c on the monotone diff output shows two \r\n \r\n sequences where there is one in the source file.

The files themselves seem to be ok in that they don't appear to have doubled up \r\n sequences.

I have not defined the get_linesep_conv or get_charset_conv hooks and I'm using monotone under cygwin on winxp.

Under linux my files seem to have \r\n line endings as well although I was expecting that they would have only \n having read the following section in the manual.

"Note that Line ending conversion is always performed on the internal character set, when both character set and line ending conversion are enabled; this behavior is meant to encourage the use of the monotone's "normal form" (UTF-8, '\n') as an internal form for your source files, when working with multiple external forms. Also note that line ending conversion only works on character encodings with the specific code bytes described above, such as ASCII, ISO-8859x, and UTF-8. "

Thinking about this a bit more though it seems that normalizing line endings in source files would cause some rather serious problems with hash computations. Files with \n line separators on a linux system would hash wildly differently than the same files with \r\n line separators on a windows system.

Thanks for any info!

Cheers,
Derek