[Monotone-devel] Re: Update replacing deleted files

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Update replacing deleted files
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:19:33 -0400

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:39:08 +0200, Hans Fuchs <address@hidden> wrote:

Since it is not my software I may not do anything. I just felt like
trying it yesterday so I did it. No need to accept this or answer my
questions. :-) I was just curious. I'm happy that I could code a bit
yesterday. :-)

this is a reasonable thing to have tried, and I'm glad to have you
playing with monotone's behavior.

I think we might be able to get there without involving "update",
however. update is quite a different operation, and I'd like to try,
if possible, weaning users off the CVS habit of typing "update"
whenever there is something wrong; it really will update your files,
possibly damaging your working copy.

"monotone ls missing" lists all the files which are listed in the working
copy manifest, but are not present in the working copy. I would think
that "monotone ls missing | xargs monotone revert" would do what you want.

if this is too cumbersome or hard to guess, which it seems to be,
it might make sense to add some UI:

  - start accepting per-command options, and make "revert" take a
    --missing option

  - add a "fix" command which corrects various forms of undesirable
    state, of which "fix missing" is one subcommand.

  - add a new command just for this task

I'm open to any of these. I'm sort of curious about whether per-command
options will be workable. reasons for trying them keep coming up, so I
can imagine it's just a matter of time.

-graydon