[Monotone-devel] Re: Ancestry Graph

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Ancestry Graph
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:51:55 +0100

Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> IIRC someone managed to beat un-obfuscated sources [for vcg] out of
> the authors.

OK, that would make sense.  The README in the Debian binary package
doesn't say that, and still says that there are obfuscated sources.
It may just be out of date.

> It's still decidedly not my favorite piece of software; it's not
> hard to make it crash, the documentation is a joke, and the user
> interface ... let's not even go there.

I recently tried the GraphViz GUIs, and I found them quite unusable.
In some cases literally so: they seemed to insist on hiding underneath
any windows they could.  Which is all very odd, since some of them are
Tcl/Tk, which is at least well-behaved by default, even if it's not
very modern looking.

Anyway, if you can put up with GraphViz's license, monotone-viz is
pretty neat for showing ancestry.  It uses graphviz to calculate the
graph layout, but then draws it itself on a GNOME canvas.