[Monotone-devel] Re: new restrictions syntax proposal

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: new restrictions syntax proposal
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:11:33 -0400

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:30:33 -0600, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:

If the shell *does* do globbing though, --include *.c expands to something like
 --include
a.c b.c c.c d.c and from what I can see with the popt option library you can
get either
--include or --include a.c out of this, b.c, c.c and d.c will have nothing to
do with the
option. I don't see any way of saying "I want to use --include and --exclude
but please
don't treat them as normal options, just leave them in the argument list in
order and
untouched."

I am happy to have popt evicted, and already vaguely plan on doing so someday.
there are of course dozens of command-line processing libraries out there but
all else being equal I am leaning towards ulrich's suggestion of argp, since it
is already built into glibc, and appears to be more flexible than many of the
alternatives. I didn't know it was there when I was first writing monotone.

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Argp.html

generally I think I dislike /include and /exclude. I'm not even sure I like
selector syntax. if we find ourselves adopting subcommand options it might
make sense to replace selectors with options for --date, --branch, --author,
etc.

-graydon