[Monotone-devel] Re: Using monotone through a proxy?

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Using monotone through a proxy?
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 14:05:30 -0400

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:00:48 -0400, Richard Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm new to monotone and I'm trying to pull the latest coLinux code as
documented at http://www.colinux.org/?section=scs using monotone 0.14 on
Windows, but my company's firewall seems to be hindering things.  Any
idea how I can make monotone go through my company's proxy?  Setting the
Windows environment variable 'http_proxy' didn't seem to do anything and
I didn't find any references to proxies in the manual.

unfortunately monotone does not work over HTTP; it uses a custom protocol
and requires direct socket-y connectivity to its endpoint. there is a branch
called net.venge.monotone.ssh which can tunnel over ssh (this will be
integrated into the main branch soon) and in theory an HTTP CONNECT tunnel
might also be plausible. but the basic http_proxy approach won't work.

possibly there is some confusion because monotone *used* to work over HTTP
(and SMTP/NNTP) but the protocol model has changed quite a bit since then,
and those transports no longer work.

-graydon