[Monotone-devel] Re: Trying to understand the ideas behind cherrypicking

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Trying to understand the ideas behind cherrypicking...
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:08:08 +0000

Jon Bright <address@hidden> writes:

> I've only skimmed over previous mail on this and related threads,
> but I seem to be missing some context, or to put it another way, a
> vision of a real-life "use case" where one would use cherrypicking.
> Doubtless there are many, but it'd help my understanding (and maybe
> that of others) of the subject if someone more familiar with the
> subject could describe a specific case where one would want to
> cherrypick patches.

Here's one:
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2004-11/msg00109.html>

More generally, if you have more than one branch from which you want
to produce releases, the criteria for adding a changeset to each may
be different.  So you might want to transplant (or splice) only
bugfixes to a stable branch.  Or you might fix bugs on a stable branch
first, but fix some of them in a safe way but not in the right way for
long term development.  So again, you want to cherrypick only some
changes.