Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Matt Johnston
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:32:44 +0800

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:22:25PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:

> (While we're on the subject of craziness, that reversed-domain-name
> naming scheme was whacked when Java adopted it, and it's just as
> whacked here.  Is there any actual use for making users reverse them
> by hand?  Computers are much better at that sort of thing.)

I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning - my vote
would be for changing to normal domain-name ordering, and
let the program handle reversing when required (for
collections etc, assuming they don't eventually become regexps).
Of course the branch-naming is just a recommendation, though
I guess most people would follow the recommended form.

One consideration might be that the reversed form could
avoid confusion with real DNS entries?

Just my 2c.

Matt