[Monotone-devel] Question about changelogs

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Question about changelogs
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:48:46 +0100

Hi all,

I thought ChangeLog files were used to mitigate the lack of atomic commits
in CVS (i.e., to document changes done in a single commit together), or in
projects that didn't use any version control system at all.

But I was surprised to see that there is one of these in monotone's
repository too, and even worse, that it's maintained by hand.  IMVHO,
these files only repeat information that's already stored in the
repository history, and often miss details.

Indeed, they are useful to have in releases, because the end user can
check with great detail what has changed since the previous version.
But... I feel they could be very easily generated by the vcs (in this
case, monotone), instead of beeing written manually, thus reducing
redundancy.  So... my question: is it there any strong reason for this?
(aside "monotone can't generate changelogs (yet)" ;).

(I'm blaming no one here, just curious to know the reasons.)

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/