[Monotone-devel] Log behavior wrt deleted/renamed files

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Log behavior wrt deleted/renamed files
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:02:56 +0100

Hi all,

some days ago I tried 'monotone log <deleted_file>' and it showed all the
log referring to the delted file before it was deleted, except the revision
where the deletion happened.  This, by itself, is a bug.  (The same happens
when asking for the log of a renamed file).

But when I was trying to fix it, msh in irc suggested that maybe this
behavior was not correct at all.  I mean, if a file does not exist any
more, log shouldn't say anything about it.  Right?  (I had some doubts
while writting the message, but looking at the example below it seems
that this rationale is correct.)

For example, suppose the following sequence of actions:
        add foo bar
        commit 1
        delete foo
        commit 2
        rename bar foo
        commit 3

Now, what should "log foo" show?  The reasonable thing here could be to
print 3 and 1 (that is, bar's history).  And "log bar" should show
nothing, because the file does not exist any more (like if it was deleted).
Am I right?  If so, the attached patch should fix this issue.  Does it
look ok?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>