[Monotone-devel] Re: key-management problem

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: key-management problem
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:54:48 +0100

Peter Simons <address@hidden> writes:

> after merging a couple of databases that have been lying
> around on various machines, I get this warning every time I
> synchronize with the repository now:
>
>   monotone: warning: key 'address@hidden' is not \
>        equal to key 'address@hidden' in database
>
> Apparently, I have two different keys with the same user id in the
> database. So how do I handle this situation?
>
> Can I change a key's user id?

I don't think so.  You could hack the database and do it, but I think
the signatures include the keyid, so if that were useful, then that
would mean the key wasn't being used anyway (in which case you may as
well delete it with dropkey and generate a new one with a
non-conflicting keyid).

In fact that's what I'd do: make a copy of the database, then use
dropkey on one of them, and try syncing.  And, if all that works, then
verify it with "db check", just to make sure (though I suspect that
would just repeat the checks that will already have been done).

> Or is there a way to replace all signatures issued with the older
> key by ones issued with the newer key?

Not that I can see.