Re: [Monotone-devel] UI to push/pull/sync

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] UI to push/pull/sync
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:28:58 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:56:44 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> Currently, on mainline, push/pull/sync have been changed to take a
njs> regular expression instead of a collection -- collections don't exist
njs> anymore.  Functionally, this is great; UI-wise, I'm wondering how cool
njs> it really is to be typing "net\.venge\.monotone(|\..*)" or whatever?
njs> Would it be better to have a UI that took any number of globs, and
njs> used those?  So like:
njs>   $ monotone pull net.venge.monotone net.venge.monotone.*
njs> would be equivalent to the above regexp; and
njs>   $ monotone pull net.venge.monotone*
njs> would be equivalent to the current net.venge.monotone collection?

I think that would be a very good idea.  And it should be quite easy
with the glob_to_regexp function in transforms.cc.

njs> Maybe with a --regexp switch that switches it over to being
njs> interpreted as a regexp, for the cases when you want that?

I agree with that, although I wonder how useful it really is.  I was
thinking that I might just want to select two specific branches of the
multitude under net.venge.monotone, but quickly realised it's easy to
do with globs:

        net.venge.monotone{,-viz,.cvssync}

Cheers,
Richard