Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging an ancestor with one of its grandchildren

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging an ancestor with one of its grandchildren
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:57:49 +0200

Tom Koelman wrote:

[snip]

So I ended up committing a trivial change to B, creating B3 and then
merged Z to B3. This felt really hacky and I don't like this
solution. Was there a better one?
I would have done

      monotone propagate NewFeature Main

From the documentation:

monotone propagate sourcebranch destbranch

This command takes a unique head from sourcebranch and merges it with a unique head of destbranch, using the least common ancestor of the two heads for a 3-way merge. The resulting revision is committed to destbranch. If either sourcebranch or destbranch has multiple heads, propagate aborts, doing nothing.

The purpose of propagate is to copy all the changes on sourcebranch, since the last propagate, to destbranch. This command supports the idea of making separate branches for medium-length development activities, such as maintenance branches for stable software releases, trivial bug fix branches, public contribution branches, or branches devoted to the development of a single module within a larger project.

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic