Re: [Monotone-devel] A cornucopia of issues

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A cornucopia of issues
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:11:36 -0700

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:01:20AM -0600, Ryan Hinton wrote:
> >>I can send a core dump if that would be useful.  Any suggestions on
> >>getting the monotone source?  Is there any way to do a partial pull?
> monotone: fatal: std::bad_alloc: St9bad_alloc
>
> The "St9bad_alloc" is interesting.  But I've seen that "lua isfunction()
> failed" before without ill effect.  Any ideas?  If this is the wrong
> output, I would appreciate any pointers on how to capture the right output.

It's whatever's throwing a std::bad_alloc (=St9bad_alloc) that's
causing the problem here.  Unfortunately, the --debug output doesn't
seem to reveal it, and a core file won't help (since we need to know
where the std::bad_alloc was thrown from, but by the time we would get
a core file, we've already unwound the stack and cleaned things up).
I'm not sure there's anything that can be done except running under
gdb, and doing something like:
  (gdb) b main
  (gdb) r <program arguments>
  (gdb) catch throw
  (gdb) c
  (gdb) bt

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey