Re: [Monotone-devel] resurecting a file

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] resurecting a file
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 04:12:10 -0700

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:57:06PM -0500, Rob Nichols wrote:
> I'm looking for advice, both on this specific problem, as well as my approach
> to my situation...
>

> It's my understanding that a file can not be resurrected.  Once it has been
> dropped, even if I disapprove the revision that removed the file, the "old"
> and "new" file are not treated as the same file - for example during a
> propagate.  Is that correct?  Is there any hope for reconnecting these files?

Unfortunately, that's correct; there's no way to resurrect a file.
The rule is very strict -- once a file is dead in some revision, it
will always be dead in all descendents of that revision.

Maybe at some point in the future we will figure out how to support
this; unfortunately, no-one (on earth, as far as I know) has really
worked out how to make this work and play nicely with merging; we're
all still scrambling to figure out how to make merging really work
reliably in the easy cases...

Sorry I can't offer more here.

> I have two branches, B and B.v10.  All development happens on B.  As we near a
> release ("v10"), I want to release code to various other groups.  I'd like to
> keep a record of what I release (via a tag), and I'd also like to "sanitize"
> the code.  Sanitize here means removing a few "FIXME" comments in the code,
> and some testing related files.
>
> I started the B.v10 branch by sanitizing my working copy, and committing to
> the B.v10 branch.  Periodically, I propagate changes B to B.v10.  Of course,
> with changes I some times have to make changes to B.v10 to clean up the merge.
> This has worked okay through a couple of test releases.  The problem came when
> I needed to undrop a file accidentally dropped in B.v10.

Probably the best way to reconnect the file is to drop the file on B,
and then re-add it.  This will break its history on the B branch, but
when you propagate to B.v10 it will count as a brand new file and be
re-added; future changes to the file will also pass over to B.v10.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen