Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone build failed on SuSE 9.1, gcc 3.3.3

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone build failed on SuSE 9.1, gcc 3.3.3
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:51:01 -0700

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:41:38AM +0300, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

> > ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I../boost_1_32_0" LDFLAGS="-L../boost_1_32_0/libs"
> > make
>
> configure looked fine, but make seemed hanged while compiling
> commands.cc. (it is true that my machine is not fast and has only
> 128MB, but several hours represent quite a long time for a compile).

It looks like you don't have enough memory to effectively compile
optimized C++ code; your computer is spending all its time putting
things in and out of swap, instead of actually getting work done.
Apparently it managed to spend less than 2 minutes of CPU time so far:

> 30577 pts/3    R+     1:45 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/cc1plus
> -quiet

This is just a fact of life when dealing with C++, unfortunately.  I'd
recommend either compiling with CXXFLAGS="-O0" to turn off
optimization, or trying a newer version of gcc (they're supposed to
have gotten better about this since 3.3, though I haven't verified
this myself), or getting mroe memory...

Or just using a precompiled package, of course :-)

"On arrival in my ward I was immediately served with lunch. `This is
what you ordered yesterday.' I pointed out that I had just arrived,
only to be told: `This is what your bed ordered.'"
  -- Letter to the Editor, The Times, September 2000