[Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] more merging stuff (bit long...)

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] more merging stuff (bit long...)
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:31:06 -0400

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

This algorithm is very close to the traditional codeville-merge
approach to this problem; the primary algorithmic difference is the
marking of conflict resolutions as being "changes".  The more
important new stuff here, I think, are the user model and the proofs.

Wow. I'm no expert in merging, but this all made perfect sense to me. It looks like a brilliant piece of work.

Without seeing (or thinking up) concrete examples, it's a bit hard to know how I would have answered the poll questions, but as a newbie outsider, the results produced by your algorithm looked fine to me.

I really look forward to hearing comments from some of the SCM experts. Is there a reason you didn't post this to the revctrl list as well? I would be interested to hear about the feasibility of other systems adopting this user model, regardless of whether they store weaves, deltas, or snapshots.

Thanks,

Kevin