Re: [Monotone-devel] error report

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] error report
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:40:08 -0700

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:10:36AM -0500, Jim Peters wrote:
> I receieved this error after deleting a directory, and then realizing I
> had to do a find dir | xargs mono drop on the files first.  After deleting
> the directory and then attempting a monotone drop dir/file I receieved
> this message.  Creating the directory again did not change the message.
> This directory is a sub-directory of my main tree.

This is a long-standing bug -- directory deletion doesn't really work.
To get your working copy back to a consistent state, run "monotone
revert"; then "monotone drop" all the files in the directory, but not
the directory itself.  Because we don't currently version directories
per se, this will implicitly remove the directory.

I.e.:
 $ monotone revert
 $ find dir -type f | xargs monotone drop
            ^^^^^^^ very important

More modern versions of monotone will just refuse to let you drop a
directory, with an apologetic error message.

We're working on revamping directory support to finish fixing all
these remaining changeset bugs, but for now you want the workaround
above.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."