Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Netsync performance improvement patch

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Netsync performance improvement patch
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:35:11 -0700

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 08:19:15AM +0400, Petr Ovtchenkov wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2005 05:30, graydon hoare wrote:
> >
> > You might like the SGI "rope" class, which appears on my system as
> > part of gnu libstdc++, /usr/include/c++/4.0.0/ext/rope
> >

> Design of strings in libstd++ was derived from SGI's rope. So replacement of
> GNU strings by SGI's rope has no sense.

I'm almost certain this is incorrect.  Strings are expected to have
O(1) indexed access and c_str() methods, which ropes cannot; in
practice, when using gdb, one can peek at the value of a string by
just printing a single char* data member, which is completely unlike
ropes...

GNU strings, like ropes, are copy-on-write, but ropes have much more
to them than that.

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling