Re: [Monotone-devel] resend : i18n

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] resend : i18n
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:57:40 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 11:06:15AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
It seems clear that F() is not actually the optimal marker for
i18nable text; in particular, it's sometimes used to do things like
build SQL strings... (though these could use boost::format directly, I
suppose...)
Right, after fighting with gettext for a bit, I changed my mind.

Current policy (the best one I could come up with):
 F() marks strings that should be translated
For strings that should be translated and involve plurals, use:
 FP("%i doorbell", "%i doorbells", count) % count
This does not work for some languages. For example in czech we have
1 "zvonek"
2, 3 and 4 "zvonky"
5 and more "zvonků"

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic