[Monotone-devel] new to monotone

From: Howard Spindel
Subject: [Monotone-devel] new to monotone
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:41:45 -0700

Hello,

I've been using monotone for about a month. I have a one-person project, so primarily I just wanted something to track history and allow me to recreate old releases if I had to. So far, I like monotone.

Couple questions, and I apologize if they are newbie stuff:

1. I installed monotone 0.20 originally. I saw no problems with it. Yesterday I tried upgrading to monotone 0.22. After the upgrade, the diff function no longer works - I get the Windows popup box that says the program attempted an illegal operation and must be terminated. Yes, I did the db migrate, and other functions besides diff worked fine. I downgraded to 0.20 and diff works again. System is WinXP. I installed from the available Win installer - I didn't build monotone myself. Known problem? Workarounds?

2. I'd like to set up some offsite backup. If I were to ftp my monotone database files to my ISP, is my data safe? That is, is the database encrypted? Would it work better if I somehow was able to use monotone's replication features to keep a remote database in sync? If that means my ISP would have to open a hole in its firewall, I doubt if they would do that. Suggestions?

3. Do you guys have any shortcut ways to compare a working copy to the most recent previous version in the database? monotone diff doesn't do it, because the working copy is checked in. I want to compare against the version previous to the most recent check-in. I can do it by finding the right hash key, but that's a bit clumsy. Is there a way to tag a certain revision with a human friendly label, so for example, I could diff all changes since the last customer release without finding the right hash key? I did read the manual and tutorial looking for these features, but if they are there I missed them.

Thanks very much,
Howard