Re: [Monotone-devel] continued problems

From: Howard Spindel
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] continued problems
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:39:14 -0700

At 03:27 PM 9/1/2005, Matthew Gregan wrote:
At 2005-08-27T22:13:12-0700, Howard Spindel wrote:

> When I try the db load command, I get:

> monotone: error: sqlite error [1]: near
> "'H4sIAAAAAAAAAOxdCXgcxZXukSxbtuX7AGxsyyCDAWvGJ2DL2NZh2SNLtpHkI7Y4WjMtqa2e
> monotone: error:
> 6WG6RxpxJCbhvkM4kkC4A0kgIYGwSTgScyUBcpFgCElISAwE2EAgHAmE4H1V1T3Tx2tpquTd
> monotone: error:
> zbc77c+j6emq/6969erVq1fV3S/s37//7Tmfv3nKdyY/HpLaBhJy0lRilVH4TCcVs7Jd1zWj

> followed by hundreds more lines that look similar except the garbagy
> characters change.  It looks to me like lines that are supposed to be
> data are getting interpreted as commands.

Thanks for reporting this.  It turned out to be a Win32 (really, MinGW)
specific problem where std::cin was returning EOF early after the
standard I/O streams had been unsynchronized with a call to
sync_with_stdio(false) when feed input that contained DOS newlines.

The correct solution for this needs a fix in MinGW.  For now, I've
committed a change to mainline (rev. fc87df) to work around this
problem.

Thank you for looking into that, Matthew.  One question though...

The problem also occurs when running "db load" from a regular WinXP command prompt - no MinGW involved. So, is your fix effective when MinGW is not running?

I guess another way to ask this is: When you say it's a MinGW problem, did you mean a problem with the MinGW development environment or runtime environment? If the latter, perhaps the problem is not fully understood?

Regards,
Howard