Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: ~/.monotone/keys , privkey packets

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: ~/.monotone/keys , privkey packets
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:01:59 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:45:07 -0500, Timothy
Brownawell <address@hidden> said:

tbrownaw> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 16:39 -0500, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
tbrownaw> > I'm trying to implement ~/.monotone/keys/ . Since a
tbrownaw> > privkey without its pubkey isn't very useful, I want to
tbrownaw> > make it store key pairs, not lone privkeys. In order for
tbrownaw> > this to work, monotone would have to not be able to input
tbrownaw> > a private key without its pubkey.

If you look in commands.cc, you will see that the privkey command
writes both the private and public key to the file.  You can even just
try the 'monotone privkey' command and look at the output (it's
ASCII).

tbrownaw> ...Of course, the only time the pubkey needs to be retrieved
tbrownaw> from the key store is when we sign something, and as msh

Incorrect.  You use the *private* key to sign things, and the other's
public key to *verify* a signature.  This means that we need to be
able to extract the public key to publish it, one way or another.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/