Re: [Monotone-devel] bug: monotone serve w/ long passphrase

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bug: monotone serve w/ long passphrase
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:52:38 -0700

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 04:57:29PM -0700, Stefan Karpinski wrote:
> When I use a shorter passphrase, I now get past that problem, but I
> get the following instead:
>
> $ monotone --db=~/monotone/sex.db serve basin.cs.ucsb.edu
> "org.leezard.*"
> enter passphrase for key ID address@hidden:
> monotone: network error: name resolution failure for basin.cs.ucsb.edu

This is a common symptom of libc version mismatches.  You probably
will need to either upgrade your libc, or compile monotone locally
(recommended).

(Wish I could give more details, but libc, while supposedly always
binary compatible between versions, for some reason sometimes breaks
mysteriously when it comes to host resolution, and they've set things
up so the normal version consistency checking stuff doesn't notice...
I don't really understand how one is supposed to deal with this.)

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender