Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone diff does not correctly diff renamed files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone diff does not correctly diff renamed files
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:27:03 -0700

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:59:31PM -0500, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> monotone diff does not correctly diff renamed files.  The old file name
> and new file name are both the new file's name in the diff.  To test:
>
> 1. create a branch and import a file
> 2. commit
> 3. monotone rename the file
> 4. monotone diff
> 5. Observe the bug

Huh.  Nice catch.

This is a bit tricky to fix -- what monotone is doing is actually
arguably "correct behavior", because what it's doing is taking a
changeset and (between the ### header and the actual diff files)
writing it out in another form.  And the way monotone changesets
works, renames happen, and then as a later step file edits happen, so
the diffs are actually being applied to files that already have the
right name.

Which is not really an excuse to surprise and confuse users, alas.

Unfortunately, it's not obvious to me how to fix it; we don't really
have pre-state names for the files available there.  Hrm.  I've added
an XFAILed test, anyway.

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra