Re: [Monotone-devel] Cvssync problems

From: Bill Marquette
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Cvssync problems
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:35:45 -0500

On 9/29/05, Brian Downing <address@hidden> wrote:
> One other comment I have is that it's kind of suboptimal for me to have
> the "Monotone revision ..... author ..... time ....." as the very first
> line of the CVS comments, as it uses up the space in ViewCVS output that
> would otherwise be useful.  For example, see:
>
> http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/slime/?cvsroot=slime
>
> If I were to start hacking on this with monotone, the "Last log entry"
> column would be filled with nothing but Monotone revision numbers, which
> is to me far less useful information than the first line of the
> developer's log entry.
>
> Would it be possible to put the Monotone line at the bottom of the
> message, instead of the top?

I ended up hacking as many of those messages out of my local copy.  I
use CVS as the mainline repository, with monotone as the development
repository and I get some rather nasty CVS commit messages because of
it.  The most annoying of which are the branch propagation ones
(http://cvstrac.pfsense.com/chngview?cn=6478 for instance) which end
up telling me nothing about the change (part of that message may be
due to some of the changelog recursion that I removed).

What I'd love to see is the ability to add in a message when I do
monotone cvs_push that describes the huge change that I'm making
instead of pulling in all the changelog history (or in my case as I've
removed the recursion logic, just the most recent commit message).
Sadly, my C++ skills really really suck...ie, I was at the limit of my
knowledge just adding a boolean to stop the recursion, else I'd try
and hack something up myself.

--Bill

PS. I ran into issues in my repository doing a cvs_pull as the initial
import I had to use cvs_takeover on a checked out branch.  I'll try
and recreate the error and post it.