Re: [Monotone-devel] namespace-ifying attrs

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] namespace-ifying attrs
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:17:23 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
I'd like to bring up the idea of namespace-ifying file attributes.
Basically, replacing "execute" with "mtn:execute", and so forth.

The proximal inspiration comes from subversion:
  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.1
which supports a number of built-in "properties" (their equivalent to
file attributes):
  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3
and prefixes them all with "svn:", to keep them distinct from any
custom properties that users might define.

This is similar to how we reserve "MT" and ".mt-*" in the monotone
working copy namespace for our own use; we would reserve "mtn:" for
our own use in the attr namespace.

Potential enhancement: anything without a colon is automatically prefixed with "mtn:"

Objections:
  -- not really necessary, because there are hardly any attributes
     anyway
  -- just clutters up the place with unnecessary concepts and
     punctuation; feels like something a plodding corporation would
     come up with

With the enhancement, there'd be no clutter.

Counter-objections:
  -- better safe than sorry; we don't know whether there will be an
     explosion of custom attrs or not.

If this is done, I have the feeling that (IETF-style), there should be some defined scheme for other people to define their attributes. That said, the only one that springs to mind is something like com.siliconcircus:foo, which is... icky. Maybe this is unnecessary.

--
Jon