Re: [Monotone-devel] bug: Rename to directory with past history

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bug: Rename to directory with past history
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:28:07 -0800

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:23:59PM +0100, Johan Bolmsjo wrote:
> In my branch I moved the directory src/tools (containing header files)
> to include/tools and commited. No problem so far.
>
> Next I moved the source files under src/ to src/tools (previous home
> of the header files). Commiting this does not work:-(

Thanks for the bug report!  This is a known (class of) bugs, actually;
the problem is that monotone's current directory tracking logic is a
bit sloppy -- back when we originally wrote it, we thought we could
get away with making directories not quite first class objects, and
this is one of the bugs that resulted.  So it's getting confused about
the two directories named src/tools.

For now, there isn't a super-convenient workaround.  You could go
backwards, erase the move of src/tools to include/tools (e.g., by
running 'db kill_rev_locally' in all of the databases that contain the
rename), and then instead of renaming the directory just rename its
contents; file renames are less problematic.  (If this explanation
isn't clear, just ask.)

The real solution is the rewrite of monotone's core changeset handling
code, that's currently living in a branch.  We plan to start using
this code for monotone development soon, to shake out bugs, and a real
release should probably happen within the next few months.

Good luck,

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music