Re: [Monotone-devel] confusion with heads

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] confusion with heads
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:18:28 +0000

Evan Martin <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I have a database "neugierig.db" served at neugierig.org.  I pull this
> database into a new one, checkout my project, and "monotone heads"
> produces different output than if I just check out the same branch
> from the original database directly.  See below, where I check out
> using the different access mechanisms out into directories "cw1" and
> "cw2".

If you're trying to check out from a database that's still being used
by "monotone serve", then that's probably the problem.  So try not
doing that (stop the server before checking out from the database),
and see if the difference goes away.

[...]

> In general, I find most of my confusion with monotone comes from not
> being able to see "what's available" in a given database.  That is,
> I monotone sync against some random machine, and "ls branches" lets
> me see branches there are but there doesn't seem to be a comparable
> command to let me see which revisions there are (aside from using
> "co" then using "log").  For example, before I was able to isolate
> this to two checkouts from the same database, I had thought the
> problem was with my sync permissions (I had thought maybe some
> versions weren't getting synced from my local database to a remote
> one for some reason).  If I'd had a way to look at the contents of
> each, it would've been easier to see that wasn't the problem.

There are tools to look at the database (monotone-viz, viewmtn,
monotree), and you can use "monotone log", "monotone automate graph",
and probably other things.  I tend to agree with you: there ought to
be more ways to explore a database; I'm just not sure what they should
be.