[Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:20:18 +0000

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> So, monotone needs to know internally if a file is text or non-text,
> and needs to do conversions (both charset, which is a similar and
> bigger can of worms) on text files only.

Yes, I agree.  I haven't done much experimentation, but presuming I'm
understanding it correctly, subversion does it more or less right:
<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.props.html#svn.advanced.props.special.eol-style>,
and a little up that page svn:mime-type.

That is, svn:mime-type says whether the file is text or not, and for
text, its repository format is LF line endings, and (by default) it
uses native line-endings on checking out, but you can specify
something else when it's necessary.

I'm not convinced that specifies things exactly: what happens if I
commit a file on Windows with native CRLF endings, which has
svn:eol-style set to LF?

However, the basic idea seems sound: distinguish binary and text, and
for text, assume (by default) native line-endings.