[Monotone-devel] Re: Stable Roadmap?

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Stable Roadmap?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:03:30 -0800

Michael Milner wrote:
Hi,

I've been following along on recent developments and am very pleased with
the stability of 0.26rc1.

Is there currently any kind of roadmap to the first stable release?

I've been using monotone extensively for some small projects with great
success, but I am a bit reluctant to start using it with a larger team
until it becomes "stable".

Any thoughts?  What still needs to be done?

There's "what needs to be done" and "what needs to be done which will cause compatibility / migration events". There's still a fair bit to do, but I believe there are likely only 2 or 3 more possible migration / protocol-compatibility changes on the horizon.

  - Change to the cert format accompanying work on "management
    branches", or "ACLs", or whatever we wish to call it. This will
    probably involve re-issuing all the certs in your database, but
    probably not involve rebuilding your revision graph.

  - Modifications to netsync to support partial-pull operations, which
    might involve a database migrate command to change the schema and
    will almost surely involve a netsync protocol-number bump.

  - "Future-proofing" of the cert / revision format by including
    a cryptographic algorithm parameter. Possibly necessary,
    possibly not. It's entirely possible that discussion will
    conclude that epochs are sufficient for this problem; we
    just haven't had the discussion yet.

-graydon