Re: [Monotone-devel] wishlist of an OE developer

From: Patrick Mauritz
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] wishlist of an OE developer
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:47:15 +0100

Patrick Mauritz wrote:
 on IRC we just had a discussion with an openembedded developer about
 what he's missing in monotone. After there were only some vague
and another one by way of IRC.. (playing proxy some more)

--- snip ---
Hi all,

This is intended as a semi-response at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.monotone.devel/6110

 cherry picking adding changes of a revision to an unrelated tree,
 incl. renames, deletes, adds, ...

Bk and darcs can send changesets via mail, which is a very nice feature. In essence I'd like to be able to do a 'monotone export -r<rev1> -r<rev2> > /tmp/cherry-pick' so I can import it into another branch/repo. On the receiving end a 'monotone import cherry-pick' should be enough to patch, monotone add and monotone drop affected files.
Related to that: a 'monotone import_patch' would also be neat.

 proper local undo support "db kill_rev_locally sounds too scary".
 also needs to be able to delete entire subtrees of history.
A somewhat more intuitive variant of disapprove would also be neat. Everytime I wanted to disapprove some bad stuff I get 'cannot invert' message and end up cleaning it up by hand.

 log --local/--remote (or --to-pull/--to-push or whatever) A method to
 figure out the revisions that exist locally but not remote, or in
 the other direction, incl. their changelog.
BK had a 'parent' to which you could compare you repo to 'upstream'. I know 'upstream' is a wrong term, but you get the idea.

And something that has bugged me a lot:
'monotone merge' does the wrong thing if I forgot to set $DISPLAY and meld exits without taking action. Disapprove, merge , merge merges is just too much work to undo such and action.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

regards,

Koen
--- snap ---

as for cherry picking, discussion came to a point that there are some issues, eg. what to do with changes to a file that doesn't exist at the point you want to apply the set?

as for BK's "parent", I think it would be no harder to make log --local work with the default server as stored in the db, or with an override given on the command line.

the meld issue might be fixable in the std_hooks.lua (either by checking for DISPLAY first, or by handling a failing meld gracefully).

in my opinion it's good to have feedback from people who use monotone with really big datasets and lots of changes. Thanks to you guys!

patrick mauritz