Re: [Monotone-devel] another sort of interoperation...

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] another sort of interoperation...
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:18:02 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> In this issue of your monotone electronic newsletter, we direct your
> intention to an innocent looking file named "server.pl", available by
> running
>   git clone http://mirrors.catalyst.net.nz/git/gitcvs.git/
> on your internet-enabled posixish box.
>
> With this script, you can use a standard cvs client to do checkouts
> _and commits_ against a git repository.
>
> There's no license there yet, but I'm told by one of the authors that
> they've just (like, 10 minutes ago or something) been told they can
> GPL it.
>
> If anyone wants to exercise their perl chops, this would be awesome to
> port to monotone :-).
>
> (One-upping them by teaching 'monotone serve' to run netsync on one
> port and pserver on another is left as an exercise for the reader.)

Perhaps teaching monotone to work against a git server is much more
rewarding (given that more and more OSS projects switch to git (e.g.
cairo)). It's on my monotone TODO list once I finish the cvssync
separation (putting the bidirectional cvs synchronization into a
seperate process which communicates with monotone via automate) and I
planned to use the same interface for git interfacing.

So if anybody wants to go for this we should coordinate any needed
automate extensions (committing without a workspace would come into my
mind).

   Christof

PS: It should be possible to synchronize a git repository and a monotone
repository by combining gitcvs and cvssync. 8-O

PPS: Personally I think that expanding a single monotone binary to cover
yet another task is not the way to go. Especially given the problems
concerning the failed (or not yet happened) nvm.cvssync and nvm.git
integration. [And the personal grudge that .sqlite.binary is still on
hold, too]

P3S: Expect me to _try_ to get some automate extensions into monotone to
use with cvssync. And expect me to ask again for integrating the
non-blocking-pipe-abstraction (win32) from nvm.cvssync.win32 .