Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)

From: Yury Polyanskiy
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 01:04:15 -0500

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 04:15 -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>   -- Having a single, standard abbrev is very useful.  If, for
>      instance, we switch the command name to "mtn", we should also (I
>      suggest):
>        -- make the bookkeeping directory MTN (instead of MT)
>        -- make the ignore file .mtn-ignore (instead of .mt-ignore)

OMG, if you count votes then please don't change these (and .mt-attrs).

This doesn't seem really crucial but is going to ruin many scripts (and
contribute to the perception that 'monotone changes too often').

Examples? Well:
 a) "checkout-crlf-copy" (monotone --rcfile=crlf.rc co ...; cp crlf.rc
target-dir/MT/monotonerc).
 b) "import dir as a revision" (cp -r working-copy/MT import-dir/;
monotone drop --missing; monotone add --unknown);

Not that these are hard to change but I think this has been copied all
over the place and will be pretty annoying to correct (especially when
scripts are part of the sources etc, etc.).

Just my 0.02.

Yury.