[Monotone-devel] minor netsync incompatibility for those following venge

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] minor netsync incompatibility for those following venge.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:27:15 -0800

Well, that didn't take long... we already have a branch on venge.net
using the new root rename capabilities.  There's a project to provide
all the pieces you need to run a shared monotone hosting repository,
in the net.venge.monotone.contrib.webhost branch.  This branch used to
contain an import of ViewMTN; now, ViewMTN's own branch has been
merged directly into a subdirectory of the webhost branch.  Now,
whenever we want to integrate ViewMTN changes into the webhost code,
we can just propagate, and any modified files, added files, etc., will
end up in the right place.

The minor side-effect, though, is that if you've been pulling
'net.venge.monotone*', you'll get this branch -- and unless you're
already using a mainline version from this weekend, your client will
not have learned that root renames are now considered legal.  So, when
it sees the root rename, it will bomb out, rather than let such
nonsense corrupt your local db.  This is somewhat annoying, because of
course you need to pull the latest revisions, so that have the source
for the new client so you can start using it...

The solution is to not pull the offending branch; just pull something
like
   net.venge.monotone
or
   net.venge.monotone* --exclude net.venge.monotone.contrib.webhost
or the like, and then you can upgrade your client and go back to
pulling net.venge.monotone*.

The same issue applies to anyone trying to use 0.26pre2 to pull
net.venge.monotone* -- pull one of the above patterns first.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."