[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone bug

From: Matthew Gregan
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone bug
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 01:54:18 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Bernard Schelberg <bschelberg <at> pantex.com.au> writes:
> I'm sending this in response to an error message produced by monotone. I
> was trying to update the code I was working on to a version on a different
> fork:
>
> monotone update --revision=35907b750dfed700568b1f9a61af6f36adb2c8cc
[...]
> monotone: moving dir src -> MT/tmp/1
> monotone: fatal: std::exception: boost::filesystem::rename: "src",
> "MT\tmp\1": Access is denied.

Thanks for the bug report!  Sorry to see you're having this problem with
monotone.

This is a known problem that people run into from time to time on platforms
that don't provide traditional POSIX filesystem semantics.  The problem is
that some running process is holding the `src' directory in use while we try
to move it out of the way as part of a workspace update operation.  On
Windows, you're not allowed to move a directory while it's in use, which is
why you're seeing this access denied error.

monotone needs to handle this situation better than it does currently.  We
have some good ideas on what to do, but haven't had time to implement and
test them yet.

Cheers,
-mjg
--