Re: [Monotone-devel] Release/Migration plan for monotone?

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Release/Migration plan for monotone?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:45:02 -0800

On 3/10/06, Markus Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> we are currently using Monotone 0.18 for version control in our
> business, which works great for us. However, from reading the webpage,
> it seems that there have already been some new versions released which
> require migration of the database or even a complete rebuild of the
> version history. So I'm asking: what is the recommended way to handle
> this? Should we try to always keep our version of Monotone up to date to
> minimize the risk of data corruption, or is it possible to wait for a
> 1.0 version? Will the 1.0 version be able to import databases from 0.18
> without problems? What is the release plan for Monotone (i.e. will there
> be a date set for 1.0, or does it follow a "it is ready when it is done"
> approach")?
>
> Again, thanks for providing Monotone!

*18*? Wow, that's a bit behind the times. A lot has changed. I would
suggest waiting for 0.26 and updating to that (of course, I know
nearly nothing about possible upgrade problems between such different
versions. It's really best to keep more up to date). I'm sure you're
going to run into a DB migration and LUA changes with an update from
0.18 (plus netsync changes, etc, etc).

1.0 isn't coming any time soon, the monotone team is still working on
lots of updates and changes. Things are definately getting better and
more stable, though.

--
Justin Patrin