Re: [Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:25:20 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

The essence is: do we want the bookkeeping dir to something like:
  _MTN

This gets my second vote.  My first vote goes to plain "MTN".

Regarding the configuration dir, I think it should be ~/.monotone on Unixy things, %APPDATA%\monotone on Win32 and whatever VMS likes on VMS. Basically, follow convention and use the full name. When, inside a source tree, I find an "MTN" dir, I can make a good guess at what it is. When I find .mtn in ~, that's (imho) a somewhat longer pause to remember what the hell .mtn was. (OK, not if I'm using it daily --- but if I'm someone who checked something out with monotone once, 6 months ago...). It just seems more polite to use the full name here...

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.