[Monotone-devel] Re: cygwin, mtn and gettext: strange happenings

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: cygwin, mtn and gettext: strange happenings
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:00:19 +0000 (UTC)

Timothy Brownawell <tbrownaw <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 13:47 +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> > % mtn-0.25 sy
> > monotone: connessione a ‘motoko.lapo.it’
> > [...]
> >
> > % mtn-0.26pre2+ sy
> > monotone: connecting to motoko.lapo.it
> > [...]
> >
> > % ls -l /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/monotone.mo
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 lapo None 36646 Apr  1 13:26
> > /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/monotone.mo
>
> I would guess that the string for .25 is
>   connecting to '%s'
> while the string for .26pre is
>   connecting to %s
> , and your .mo file only recognizes the former.

Uhm, no, in fact I didn't begin to change english strings yet (I feel I first
need to track down the various one-letter-functions/macros that are used to
print, to better understand how to change the strings feed to them).
...and in fact I'm translating trunk, thus strings are surely closer to 0.26
than to 0.25.

This example may be more explicit about it (as it can be noticed that the first
two lines are actually identical):

% echo $LANG
it
% mtn-0.26pre2+ sy
monotone: connecting to motoko.lapo.it
monotone: finding items to synchronize:
% mtn-0.25 sy
monotone: connessione a ‘motoko.lapo.it’
monotone: cerco elementi da sincronizzare:
% LANG=C mtn-0.25 sy
monotone: connecting to motoko.lapo.it
monotone: finding items to synchronize:

Unfortunately I have little time this week and I guess 0.26 will be released by
then, but anyway if it is a Cygwin-specific monotone-side bug (and I'm not quite
sure how could it be, given the simple-ness in gettext calls) it's not so bad if
it creeps on 0.26 final: I can simply release a Cygwin package with a (to be
found) patch.

  Lapo