Re: [Monotone-devel] Alternate test frameworks...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Alternate test frameworks...
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:54:00 -0700

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:06:20AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> I've noticed that there's a lot of discussions about GNU autotest
> lately, and there's even talks about building a new framework.  I
> don't really want to destroy anyone's ambition, but before going in
> head low, maybe a look around for alternate tools might be a wise
> thing to do?

Yeah.  I don't know any that actually are much help, off-hand, at the
sorts of things that we _do_ want (the wiki has a list), but I haven't
really done a super-exhaustive search, and I don't think anyone else
has either.

> I've recently stumbled on CMake and CTest, and I'm tempted to try them
> myself on a project of my own but haven't yet.  However, the CTest
> wiki page boasts it as pretty damn capable.  Might be worth a look, so
> here's the page:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Testing_With_CTest

This seems to be typical of the breed, though -- it provides no help
whatsoever in actually writing tests, it just expects you to somehow
create one executable for each test (probably a shell script?), and
then has a bunch of complex glue to arrange to run all of those
executables.

(The only docs that actually _describe_ this part seem to be:
  http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Generating_Testing_Files
the link you give seems to only descrbe how to run someone else's
tests...)

- Don't let your informants burn anything.
- Don't grow old.
- Be good grad students.
  -- advice of Murray B. Emeneau on the occasion of his 100th birthday