Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:01:00 +0200

On Thursday 01 June 2006 08.32, Johan Bolmsjö wrote:
> On Thursday 01 June 2006 01.43, Rob Schoening wrote:
> > I got a laugh about the comment that everyone seems to moan about
> > clearcase until they aren't using it.   Very true.  It is powerful, but
> > can be a real pain.
> >
> > But to the point of "what CC-style features would be nice to see in
> > monotone?"
> >
> > One of the best features of CC is the ability to simply and easily write
> > scripts that dig into the VOB (repository).
>
> <snip>
> - Version tree browser.
>
> Even if it's slow at displaying files where you have many versions. It's a
> powerful tool to visualize the branches and merges for a file/directory.
> If you find a bug the version tree browser easily let you find out where
> this change occured. I know graphical tools are not part of "core"
> monotone. Anyone can make a really good version browser:-) It just takes
> time :-) mtn automake need to stabilize...
>
> /Johan

Just realized that one can use "mtn annotate" for this case. A bit slow but it
works. Took 15s to annotate one of my files.

Other wishlist features not related to CC.

- Expansion of uniqe but incomplete specified commands like gdb does. For
example:

$ mtn ls
     list certs ID
     list keys [PATTERN]
     list branches
     list epochs [BRANCH [...]]
     list tags
     list vars [DOMAIN]
     list known
     list unknown
     list ignored
     list missing
     list changed

Would be nice if one could write "mtn ls b" to list branches and "mtn ls t" to
list tags and so on. These are not dangerous commands. I don't thinks "mtn
propagate" should have fuzzy matching :-) I'll be quiet now :-)