Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: branching policy

From: Bram Cohen
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: branching policy
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:57:51 -0700

Daniel Carosone wrote:

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:07:38PM -0700, Bram Cohen wrote:

Branches are centralized and persistent and form a spanning tree.

This sounds like an interesting idea, and I haven't really begun to
digest yet what you're describing in detail.  As I try to do so, I
immediately realise that we're at risk of some terminology confusion.
*sigh* here we go again...

In this model, the history is linear, and includes the current state of all branches and the relationships between them. The relationships are a spanning tree, which itself is versioned linearly over time, along with everything else.

You could make a DAG history of the branches, which wouldn't be completely linear, but would have the property that at any given time two neighboring branches would have a single LCA.

I'm storing neighborhood data in files on the svn server, by the way. SVN switch and copy combine to make a fairly powerful back end, albeit an extremely raw interface.

-Bram