Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Merge frustration

From: Rob Schoening
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Merge frustration
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:48:51 -0700

One thing that I have always found to be tremendously helpful with various VCS is having some kind of "dry run" command.  With CVS, even something as pedestrian as "cvs -nq update" is tremendously helpful to test the depth of the waters before you dive in head first.

If there is such a feature in monotone, I am not aware of it.

It would be really great if you could get a report of some kind of what "mtn merge" or "mtn propagate" is going to do prior to actually doing it.

It doesn't eliminate the need/desire for the features that have been described.  But if you can give more visibility to the user about what's happening (or about to happen), it can make it easier since the user can be prepared.

Just a thought...

RS

On 6/21/06, Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> wrote:
"Hugo Cornelis" <address@hidden> writes:

> I followed this thread with a lot of interest.  Is
> in-workspace-merge planned for the coming months or more something
> like a long term vision ?  Could you give more information on the
> current development status of this feature (besides what is in the
> wiki) ?

I believe there's a Google SoC person going to work on it, so I'm
hopeful it'll happen in the next few months.  (No guarantees,
obviously.)

[...]